Actually, I have been told that a lot lately. That is why it has taken me so long to post this blog. I want you to know that when I write about something I believe God wants me to share with you, but it is also what God is teaching me. After I looked over the verses I wanted to include on being gentle I knew that there was something inside of me that needed to change first. I needed to be gentle. Gentle…especially with my children… with my words, with my tone. Frustration would arise inside me and many times my mouth would not pour out words wrapped in gentleness towards my boys. I have been working on that – aware of what I am doing; what I am saying. Are you aware?
We are commanded to be GENTLE. Gentle in our actions. Gentle in our words. I hope this will speak to you as it has me over the last couple of weeks.
Today we will look at the fourth article of clothing; GENTLENESS.
"Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, GENTLENESS and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Colossians 3:12-14
GENTLENESS: the quality of being gentle
GENTLE: kindly; amiable, not severe, rough, or violent; mild
Our God is GENTLE
“The Lord said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.’ Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a GENTLE whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.” 1 Kings 19:11-13
Jesus is GENTLE
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am GENTLE and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30
“This took place to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet: ‘Say to Daughter Zion, “See, your king comes to you, GENTLE and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.”’ The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them.” Matthew 21:4-6
Are we gentle in teaching? Are we gentle in instructing? Are gentle as parents?
A bold Paul strives to be GENTLE like Jesus….
“Some of you have become arrogant, as if I were not coming to you. But I will come to you very soon, if the Lord is willing, and then I will find out not only how these arrogant people are talking, but what power they have. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod of discipline, or shall I come in love and with a GENTLE spirit?” 1 Corinthians 4:18-21
“By the humility and GENTLENESS of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am ‘timid’ when face to face with you, but ‘bold’ toward you when away! I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world. For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.” 2 Corinthians 10:1-3
Are we GENTLE with our words?
“A GENTLE answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise adorns knowledge, but the mouth of the fool gushes folly. The eyes of the Lord are everywhere, keeping watch on the wicked and the good.” Proverbs 15:1-3
“Patient persistence pierces through indifference; GENTLE speech breaks down rigid defenses.” Proverbs 25:15 MSG
Women we are to be GENTLE
“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a GENTLE and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” 1 Peter 3:3-4
“A woman of GENTLE grace gets respect” Proverbs 11:16a MSG
We are ALL to be GENTLE – He’ll help us by the power of His Spirit
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, GENTLENESS and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23
“Be completely humble and GENTLE; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Ephesians 4:2
“Let your GENTLENESS be evident to all. The Lord is near.” Philippians 4:5
“But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and GENTLENESS. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.” 1 Timothy 6:11-12
“Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be GENTLE toward everyone.” Titus 3:1-2
“But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with GENTLENESS and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.” 1 Peter 3:15-16
As you can clearly see from scripture God values GENTLENESS – I pray that you and I will continue to walk in a GENTLE way; nurturing and encouraging every soul God has placed around us.